The idea and plan of establishing the I.R. Iran National Olympic and Paralympic Academy goes back to 1994 The NOPA’s original statutes adopted in 1994 had to be amended to correspond with the new facilities added to the NOPA complex. The NOPA complex was finally ready to become operational in the year of 2002.The amended text was then submitted to the NOC Executive Board and was re- approved in March 2000.The National Olympic and Paralympic Academy was inaugurated on 20th June 2002 in the presence of H.E. Jacques Rogge, president of the International Olympic Committee and high- ranking sport officials of the country so as to become a place for all those who are seeking for knowledge and action to contribute to the development of sport, promotion of Olympism and bringing about sport achievements.
On 17th March 2005, NOPA was introduced as OCA High Level Training Center during the official visit of H.E. Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad, President of Olympic Council of Asia.
NOPA has been selected as South West Asia representativeof Federation of Internationale Cinema Television Sportifs.
On 12 June 2007, the Regional Anti-Doping Organization of Central Asia office started its activities as one of the 14 regional and international offices in NOPA.
The Olympic movement is a widespread global movement which incorporating sport on the one hand and education and culture on the other, represents a life style based on the joy found in effort, the educational value of good example and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles and patriotism.
Its goal being to place everywhere sport at the service of the harmonious development of man, the Olympic movement tries to help create a peaceful and better world.
In accordance with the Olympic values, the National Olympic Academy of I.R. Iran was established by the I.R. Iran NOC as a scientific, educational, cultural and specialized research organization to pursue the following objectives:
-To propagate the fundamental goals of Olympism and familiarize the society with the purposes and ideals of the Olympic movement.
-To spread the spirit of chivalry and strengthen the fundamental ethical values
-To prepare national athletes and provide consultations for them to participate in the Olympic, Asian, regional and Islamic Solidarity Games
- To study, research and utilize the sport sciences to improve sports performance
- To improve knowledge level and the human resources` skills
- To promote mutual sports, scientific and cultural cooperation in national, regional and international and levels
-To provide facilities, training, educational, research, sports medical services
- To organize educational courses, seminars and scientific sports symposiums on national and international levels
- To organize cultural and art programs, book or photo exhibitions and sports film festivals
The Olympic movement is a widespread global movement which incorporating sport on the one hand and education and culture on the other, represents a life style based on the joy found in effort, the educational value of good example and respect for universal fundamental ethical principals and patriotism.
Its goal being to place everywhere sport at the service of the harmonious development of man, the Olympic movement tries to help create a peaceful and better world. In accordance with the Olympic values, the National and Paralympic Academy of the Islamic Republic of Iran was inaugurated on 20th June 2002 in the presence of the President of the International Olympic Committee, Dr. Jacques Rogge. NOPA of I.R Iran is a scientific, educational, cultural and specialized research organization to pursue the following objectives:
1. To promote the fundamental goals of Olympism and familiarize the society with the goals and ideals of the Olympic movement.
2. To promote the spirit of chivalry and strengthen the fundamental ethical values.
3. To identify and improve talents and to conduct research and study programs, using sport sciences for the development of sports quantitatively and qualitatively.
4. To provide the required facilities and training, educational, research and sports medical services.
5. To prepare national elite athletes for participation in the Olympic, Asian, regional and Islamic Solidarity Games.
6. To organize educational seminars and scientific symposiums on national and internationals levels.
7. To organize cultural and art programs and hold sport books or photo exhibitions and sport, cultural and educational film festivals.
8. To promote mutual scientific and cultural cooperation with other centers in the national, regional and international levels.
NOPA of I.R Iran activities during the year 2006 are as follow:
Olympic Education Programs:
NOPA set up 35 regular Olympic education courses with 1500 participants including youth, undergraduates and physical educators in different fields every year.
At schools level, NOPA tries to familiarize the students with the concept of Olympism, the ideals of Olympic, Olympic Games, Olympic’s medalists, fair play and Iran in Olympic.
NOPA of I.R Iran had a positive role in:
Preparing national elite athletes for participation in the Olympic, Asian, regional and Islamic Solidarity Games. Here it is worthy to mention that Iran totally achieved 48 medals and took the 6th place in 15th Asian Games Doha, 2006.
NOPA supported the International Zurkhaneh Sports Federation for developing Zurkhaneh Sports in these countries:
Sri Lanka, India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, South Korea, Pakistan, Philippines, Indonesia, Tajikistan, Iraq, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, China, Taiwan, Germany, Netherlands, Belarus, Lithuania, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Great Britain, France, Slovakia, Russia, Australia, USA, Malawi, Benin.
The First International Symposium on History of sport in Iran ( November 2006)
Several researches have been done about world sport history and ancient and modern Olympic movement, but till now just some researches have be done about Iran sport history, cultural background, its document, recognizing scientific recourses and etc. So NOPA was going to held the first regional sport history in Iran in common civilization in region, cultural field symposium by attendance of professors, researchers and interested people from Iran and abroad.
The 3rd Congress on Commemoration of Hakim Abolghasem Ferdowsi
This congress was held in collaboration with International Zurkhaneh Sports Federation on 14th May 2006. It aims to spread culture of Pehlevani(heroism) and chivalry among athletes and sports society and to revive Pahlevani(heroism) and ethics traditions.
Hakim Abolghasem Ferdowsi is one of the most famous Epic poet of Iran and one of the most well-known poet of the world. The Olympic ideal of Baron Pierre de Coubertin is closely related to the poems of Ferdowsi.
The 2nd Art, sport Olympic biennial Exhibition
This exhibition was held on 25-28 February in National Olympic and Paralympic Academy. In this exhibition 210 works of art and sport were showed which we gathered them on CD.ROM.
The closing Ceremony of the 2nd Olympic Sport and Literature Competition was held at Olympic week on 28th June 2006
1- The Olympic and Paralympic ideals:
- Ali Daei: member of national football team
- Hadi Saee: Olympic Medalist in Taekwondo
- Alireza Rezai: Olympic Medalist in Wrestling(Athens)
- Abbas Jadidi: Olympic Medalist in Wrestling(USA)
- Yousef Karami: Olympic Medalist in Taekwondo
- Masoud Mostafa Jokar : Olympic Medalist in Wrestling(Athens)
- Morad Ali Shirani: Paralympic champion in Wrestling
- Mehrdad Agin: Paralympic champion in Basketball
- Ali Kashfia: Paralympic Medalist in Volleyball sitting
- Alireza Dabir: Olympic Medalist in Wrestling(in Australia)
- Arash Miresmaeili: Olympic Medalist in Judo
2- To be acquainted with Pahlevani’s Value and Pahlevani Story
3- The result of Olympic Sport and Literature contest.
NOPA is planning to publish more than 40 books about the Olympic and Paralympic Medalist in 2007.
The Olympic Week
The Olympic Week was extensively held with various and the other culture programs and broadcasted by I.R Iran T.V network.
NOPA in collaboration with universities was held scientific and sport congress and had important role in promotion of scientific and sport in the country.
Furthermore in collaboration with the Islamic Solidarity Sports Federation NOPA has organized several technical courses such as:
-International Taekwondo Coaching Course
-International Power Lifting Coaching Course